Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: Needle tatting knots

Default Needle tatting knots

I have just changed from shuttle to needle tatting and would really appreciate some advice. The patterns I have used give the instruction "reverse work and tie a knot" at the end of each chain and/or ring. Should this be a single knot? It seems to slip if I do this & I have been tying a double knot. Thanks in anticipation, Gill

Blog Entries

Default Re: Needle tatting knots

The best advise I can give you is to look at totus mel's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73luorqg8v4 and she shows how to do this as she changes from chain to ring and back to chain.....
    If you don't know where you are going any road will get you there.

thank you - I just looked at it and think I've got it. Her videos are really good and I guess I just forgot to check it out

its supposed to be like a SLT.
    we are the few, we are the proud, we are TATTERS!

Gil, Handy Hands, whose materials most of us learned from, says to always do the single overhand knot. From my MD niece, she says if you're worried about a slip, just do another pass through the loop before you tighten, a surgeon's knot she called it. I really rarely make a square, or double knot. Too bulky. The situation will dictate ... I don't tie when doing clover leafs.. 3 rings, I almost always do when switching from ring to chain and back to ring so that the threads are on the proper side of the needle and so forth. Not needed after rings with bare threads between (rings only, no chains). So my answer is..... it depends.... sorry I can't be more specific, but it also depends on the thread and how tight I want to tension the ring or chain...

Blog Entries

You can also do true rings with the needle. My grandma taught me needle tatting and I never heard of tying after closing until I got on the internet. At the Handy Hands site she shows true rings and calls it 'Ring and Thread method'. By leaving it attached to the ball when you RW (like turning a page in a book) the ball thread is in the right position and no tying is necessary. Since the thread in the needle is used to make stitches as well as being the core thread you do have to add thread more often. I would wind some of the ball off onto an paper embroidery floss bobbin to use as extra needle thread before starting. Two colors works well this way also. There was a discussion about that in the post of my Flower Blookmark in posts 20 through 31 She also taught me to use the smallest size needle that the thread can be made to pass through the eye. My needle tatting was indestinguishable from shuttle tatting. I needle tatted for many years, but, I don't do much with the needle anymore since I have learned shuttle. I have found that it is nice to be ambitatterous at times.