Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do i make a mock picot

Default how do i make a mock picot

trying to make a tatted rose how do i make mock picot i did quite get the instruction help

Blog Entries

Default Re: how do i make a mock picot

The mock picot is made at the start/end of the ring - close the ring and then tie a normal knot the same distance away as your other picots would make a join

Please post queries to the help forums first.
    I will take a few weeks to respond to private messages or emails
    See Twitter for site issues and updates

Everyone: is there a video online that shows this? I couldn't find one...

tatcrazy:

If your pattern is online, can you provide the URL?
    If the pattern is in a book, which one? Can you provide a bit of the pattern where the mock picot is used?

Let me add to Kersti's reply:

1. Does the "mock picot" occur at the beginning of a chain at the start of your pattern? If so, this means that the first thing you are making is a picot, and assumes that you are using a ball and shuttle or two shuttles wound continuous thread method (CTM) (or ring and chain method of needle tatting). In order to keep the picot and not pull it down into the chain when snugging up your work, something is needed to hold the picot open so you can join to it later. Many people use a safety pin (be careful that you form the initial picot around a part of the safety pin that you can slide your tatting off later). Just pin the safety pin around your tatting thread between the shuttles or between the ball and the shuttle and form the initial picot around the safety pin as you begin tatting the initial chain.

2. Does the mock picot (also called a "false" picot) occur after you close an initial ring? If so, you will see that you have one less picot on this ring than you see in the picture (hopefully you have one). To make the mock/false picot, you form it using the shuttle thread and ball thread (or two shuttle threads if doing CTM; or needle and shuttle thread if doing needle tatting). Each of these threads form half of a picot; there's a few ways of describing how to knot the two threads togather at the top of the picot: I sometimes tie a granny knot (left over right, left over right) or you can tat the first half of a double stitch WITHOUT flipping it, then another first half of a double stitch WITH flipping it (everyone: correct me if there's a preferred method). Now you are ready to move from an initial ring to the following round of tatting without tying off and cutting ends.

3. It is possible that you are using bridging on the final chain of a round, followed by the mock/false picot to get to the next round, but I doubt it on a rose pattern: let me know if I'm wrong and I can try to talk you through this one.

Good luck!

Social Butterfly Judith Connors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello, tatkrazy. Welcome!

Mock picots are really spaces left somewhere in a pattern so that there is a visual balance in a row/round. The mock picot equals the size of other picots being used.

If the pattern requires that you start with a chain, you can make the tiniest mock/false picot to start using a lock stitch. This isolates the tension in the chain and prevents the first stitch from 'telescoping' as you tension your chain before going on to the next element in the pattern.

Judith.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tatcrazy View Post
    trying to make a tatted rose how do i make mock picot i did quite get the instruction help
    Check Sharon Briggs' site: She has a tutorial on the rose and mock picots. Very helpful; as Ms Conners said, "It is a bare space" With the rose it is there and very small to attach the next round seamlessly.
    [URL="http://www.ridgewoman.blogspot.com"]www.ridgewoman.blogspot.com[/URL]

[url]http://ridgewomanatateredsoul.blogspot.com/[/url]

BlueDode suggested a safety pin at the start ... usually its a chain start. I use a paper clip instead. There are fewer things to snag thread on than a paper clip with its metal closure.

One more possibility. Examine the ring. If the spacing of picots is at least three, you might be able to split differently at the end say 2 at the start and 1 at the end to give you the three stitches to keep the spacing even. Close after the 1.

Most of the settings I've seen it used in are to move from one round to the next round without closing and cutting thread and starting fresh on the next round. It allows you to jump up to the end of the picot essentially into the next round.

Since i needle tat I'm always trying to figure out work-arounds for those situations where you can't make a join because your needle won't bend. Shuttle tatters don't have that problem.

thank u all the roses have come out well shall pist the picz soon

tatcrazy:
    Congratulations on your success with the roses: please let us know when you post them, OK?

I'm still trying to find some sort of video tutorial on how to make a mock picot. HELP.

If a "mock picot" is needed in a string of split rings, I don't usually make one...I just start the next split ring so that there is space between them. Also, unless the thread is going to slide, a mock picot doesn't have to be made...just leave space to the next element. The actual definition of a mock picot (according to books by Rebecca Jones and Judi Banashek, at least) is a space, followed by a lock stitch; shuttle tatters will flip the first half of the stitch, but will not flip the second half. Needle tatters will tie a knot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb1kR-lTZU has a video in Norwegian.