Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: Needle Lace stitches

Blog Entries

Question Needle Lace stitches

I was just given a book on Reticella needle lace. I was hoping it would have how-to instructions in it ... well it does ... sort of. It assumes you are a needle lace maker already; that you need no instruction on making said stitches, just where to so what. I have done some looking online, but can't seem to find anything.

Please, any recommendations on where I could find instructions on making Button-hole stitches (for lace), the knotted-button-hole stitch, darning stitch, etc. I would also love some guidance on how to put a ground onto the pattern. It looks like little slip stitches, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
    The knot does not care how it is made. - PattyD

Blog Entries

Default Re: Needle Lace stitches

I found a book on it in the library a while back. Maybe your library have it too. it is really interesting and really looked good but it is the wrong lace information I was looking for so it went into my list of craft to check out later and I return the book to the library.
    Try, try, and try again...until the out come is presentable at least.....gc

Blog Entries

I can recommend Needlelace Talk. You should be able to get the info you need there. I have been on other boards with Lorelei who runs the site, she is a very capable needle lacer.

Social Butterfly Judith Connors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Antiquarian,
    You'll love needle lace. It's very liberating, as no two pieces are exactly the same (unlike tatting). I love it. Cotton (and sometimes silk) threads are used by contemporary needle lacers, though some are branching out into synthetics.

'Reticella' is derived from the Italian verb 'ritirare' = to withdraw, pull out. That is, threads were originally withdrawn from fabric to create 'cells' where the embroidery was done. Now needle lacers lay their own outline threads and fill in the spaces with varieties of stitches and effects.

You wanted references where you can learn the many stitches. Note that these are based on 'buttonhole' stitch or more exactly for embroiderers, blanket stitch. You may be able to find some of these books in a library.
    * The Complete Encyclopedia of Needlework, Therese de Dillmont
    * Needlemade Laces, Pat Earnshaw, Collins, 1998
    * Needlelace, Catherine Barley, Batsford, 1993
    * Colour in Lace, Ann Collier, 1990
    * Needlepoint Lace: designs from the countryside, Doreen Holmes, Batsford, 1991.
    * Needlelace (video), Carol Williamson, British College of Lace.

I hope that you can find even one, as it will help you with stitches, starting and ending, and finishing the cordonette.
    Best wishes.

Blog Entries

In can definitely recommend the Encyclopedia of Needlework by Therese de Dillmont - it is a huge collection of stitches. As for the how-to-section I'm not really happy with that. It does not really explain how to trace the outlines well.
    The best book I came across so far is from Beyer's Handarbeitsbücherei - an old German book which is called "Nadelspitze" where the writer explains everything I learned in my course. Even so - I'd recommend to to at least a short workshop with someone who knows how to do it, it's way simpler to learn the tracing tricks when they're shown to you.

Blog Entries

Antiquarian,
    If you haven't already done so before, make yourself a sampler of squares (1in x 1in) like a large noughts & crosses grid. You can try the stitches, compare how a change of colour affects them, make them dense or open. It's great fun! And you haven't even started a single piece of needle lace! [It's better to play before doing the serious stuff.]

Check out the online catalog at www.lacis.com and search for "Reticella " -- there are several books available there. One is a republication of T. de Dillmont's Reticella work.
    Curious, I checked www.youtube.com but what I found was inapplicable, I think: apparently "Reticella " means "net" or "netting" (the base of this technique) too.

Blog Entries

A different application of 'reticella', BlueDode - done in glass.
    The original lace was made by withdrawing threads from fabric (ritirare + cella = reticella) to form cell-like spaces where the needle lace designs were worked. Usually the threads were withdrawn from the full width of the fabric, so that there was a band of reticella when all the needle lace was done. Articles with isolated squares of so-called reticella, are actually leftkara.

Netting is not the basis of reticella.
    Last edited by Judith Connors; 01-02-2011 at 03:18 AM.