Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: Needle tatting - 2 colors

Default Needle tatting - 2 colors

I have the needle tatting book by Barbara Foster. In it, she says to remove about 36 inches of thread from the ball for each color. Is it possible to use Continuous thread method when needle tatting? I'd like to make something in two colors but I don't want to have to continuously add need thread (and knots) to the piece. Any suggestions?
    Linda

Blog Entries

Default Re: Needle tatting - 2 colors

You most certainly can do continuous thread with the ball thread. Due to the nature of needle tatting you will have to renew the needle thread from time to time. There are some pics showing needle tatting with 2 colors in the thread under Member Patterns Flower Bookmark here:
    http://www.intatters.com/showthread....lower-Bookmark
    Read through the thread as I am not sure what page the pics were on. I was helping StephanieGrace with her needle tatting. If you are using one color it would just be a continuous thread starting a comfortable distance from the threaded end of the needle. I do 5 yards but I know some that do only 2 yards. Depends on the project and how many rings are needed for it and if you are used to that length without getting knotted up.

Yeah, I leave one color as a continuous thread, but the other must be a cut end. I hate doing two colors for that reason, gets all tangled. I find that as long as I get enough for the tail thread there is no cutting. It helps that I usually reserve the technique for small pieces.
    [CENTER][URL="http://totusmel.blogspot.com"][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo][I][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]Needle Tatting and Other Nonsense[/FONT][/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [URL="http://totusmel.etsy.com"][SIZE=4][COLOR=Indigo][I][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]TotusMel.etsy.com[/FONT][/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Lovely bookmark, Rachael! Thanks for posting that link. Looks like I need to explore more before asking questions. Just too eager I guess! :)

Ok... so if CTM, then you're not using two needles, right? It took some doing to figure out that I never tatted with the 2nd needle when I practiced the method, but the needle I was using ran out of thread in a hurry!
    Linda

Blog Entries

Ok... so if CTM, then you're not using two needles, right? It took some doing to figure out that I never tatted with the 2nd needle when I practiced the method, but the needle I was using ran out of thread in a hurry!
    That is correct. The needle thread will run out on a big project so I cut several needle threads and wrap them on embroidery floss bobbins before starting so that I don't have to cut the ball thread for a new needle thread when using only one color. Thanks for the compliment and don't worry about asking questions, that is what we are all here for - to help each other (and get to know new tatting friends)

If you are using the CTM in needle tatting, check out my post here: http://www.intatters.com/showthread....without-a-knot...
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

Linda Jo,
    I hate to waste lots of thread, but also hate to have to add to the needle thread at the end. So, I try to do an estimate of how much I need for the needle side. Do a test of 10 or 20 stitches. How much thread did they take? How many stitches will you do of each color? that's easy if its like the flower bookmark. Then, you need to do the estimate for the core. I look at the size of the ring/chain and use my finger as an estimate of the circumference needed. Wrap the thread around the finger once for each ring or chain.... Now, if thats more needle thread than you want to handle, then split it, and do them separately.