Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mantilla or chapel veil pattern?

Default mantilla or chapel veil pattern?

Hello,

I am new to tatting and I it. I would like to tat my own mantilla or chapel veil to wear to the Latin Mass I have been attending. Can anyone help me with a relatively simple (beginning) pattern. I have been looking for more then a week now and fear that it does not exist!

Thank you in advance.

-Denise

Blog Entries

Default Re: mantilla or chapel veil pattern?

I don't know of any patterns, DeniseD. How big does it need to be and what shape? My first thought is that you should do it in mignonette stitch. Each row is a string of rings with empty thread between them. You join the next row to the empty threads of the previous row. You could finish it off with a ring and chain edging to stabilize it.

Others will be along shortly with other ideas and suggestions. Someone might even know of a pattern. Let us know what you come up with, please.
    Eliz Davis, NATA #146

Remembering the little pieces of lace which we wore to mass in the 60s, perhaps a pretty doily pattern wold work.

Cup Re: mantilla or chapel veil pattern?

I would like my chapel veil to be a triangle shape - long enough to reach my shoulders and cover my hair which goes midway down my back. I could use the doily type of head-covering but I tend to think those are more for little girls. Btw, I did go to Joanne's fabric and picked up a yard of crafters lace. I will tat an edge. That will keep me until I find some other pattern or design one myself. I will let you know how that goes.

Blog Entries

I was about to suggest you embroider a fine fabric with an edging and tatted flowers or something. I've used chiffon for an evening shawl following a 1915 pattern.

A mantilla or chapel veil made entirely of tatting probably is best done by using some patchwork patterns, Jane Eborall has some of these for example, there also is a booklet by Adelheid Dangela but I don't know where it's available in the US. A little warning here - in my humble opinion it does not look good to work up lace fabric from tatting unless you use fine thread, size 60 or finer. Adelheid did herself an all lace stole in size 80 thread, worked on it for two entire years. And she is an experienced and fast tatter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IcePrincess View Post
    I was about to suggest you embroider a fine fabric with an edging and tatted flowers or something. I've used chiffon for an evening shawl following a 1915 pattern.

A mantilla or chapel veil made entirely of tatting probably is best done by using some patchwork patterns, Jane Eborall has some of these for example, there also is a booklet by Adelheid Dangela but I don't know where it's available in the US. A little warning here - in my humble opinion it does not look good to work up lace fabric from tatting unless you use fine thread, size 60 or finer. Adelheid did herself an all lace stole in size 80 thread, worked on it for two entire years. And she is an experienced and fast tatter.
    Are you referring to Occhi-Patchwork, IcePrincess? Handy Hands and DS9Designs both have it available, possibly others. All of the patterns are diagram only.
    Eliz Davis, NATA #146

Blog Entries

As a matter of fact I was referring to "Occhi-Patchwork". I bought it from Adelheid directly, so I never cared about where you might buy it. She only mentioned that it is sold in the US but I didn't know if she had another title there.
    What I love about it is, that you have so many possibilities of combining different designs and many different levels of difficulties. There are quite a number that are "beginner friendly" and some that pose a challenge.

Blog Entries

I've seen a few of her motifs on some of the blogs I follow. All of her designs that I've seen are beautiful.
    Eliz Davis, NATA #146

This has been an interesting discussion - I've been looking for a mantilla pattern for ages, and I would never have thought of making one with patchwork motifs! I've thought of embellishing some sheer fabric, but I really wanted something more substantial - and I have that book!
    Thanks, Denise D, for raising the topic.

There are a lot of doilies or snowflakes with six sites. You can combinate it to a 3-corner, as big as you like. Look at patterns from combinated doilies. A lot of them you can combinate to a shawl with 3 sites.