Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Thread: Adding a new thread

Default Adding a new thread

I am so close to the end of a bookmark I am making for my Grandma, but alas, I have not allowed enough thread on the needle end. All my past attempts at adding threads have been horrendous.

(Well, at least in my eyes, seeing as I wish for the variegated thread colors to line up decently )

I've already looked on http://www.e.n.e.btinternet.co.uk/ for hints but no luck.

I'm sorry if something similar has already been posted. Seeing as it is the holidays and I work retail, I am now sick and catching up on all my loose ends...

Default Re: Adding a new thread

Are you needle or shuttle tatting? I think it may be different for each one, and I only shuttle tat. Will be more than happy to share my methods if you are using the shuttle.
    Blessings <>< Lynn
    Brighten the Corner Where You Are

I have had the same problem with a bookmark (shuttle tatting)! I tried adding more thread with a square knot after closing a ring, as I saw suggested somewhere (possibly Ring of Tatters website?), but I can't get the knot close enough to the end of the ring so I can keep going!
    http://www.catherinesomerlot.com

Needle tatting, although I will be trying shuttle tatting after the holidays.

The main way that I add thread when I run short is a bit odd, but it REALLY works!
    When you get to the end of a Ring and Close it, do the Knot to lock it, but DO NOT flip your core thread and your knotting thread. Instead, take your thread off the needle and put the KNOT thread on the needle. Now, start your chain (or your next ring) with the thread that needs to be replaced. I usually only tat about 5 ds before the next part....take a new piece of thread and leaving about a 4" tail, start tatting with it, like it is part of the piece...following your pattern. (don't worry about your hanging tails right yet...finish the chain or ring first) AFTER you have finished the Chain or Ring and done the locking knot, you have the choice of burying your threads now, or waiting until you are done...it won't come ondone, so it doesn't matter. To bury the threads, you take the right thread and go to the left and the left thread and go to the right.
    I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, let me know and I will take pictures of it in process and post them in a new album.
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

I think it makes sense. I still haven't mastered hiding my ends though... >.> Which is why I have been making bookmarks! lol

This will give you practice then. lol
    Freelance Graphic Designer www.craftsuprint.com/carol-lepard
    Card Blog www.bycarolivy.blogspot.com
    Tatting Blog proudneedletatter.blogspot.com

>.> I don't remember which side of the project was the back side, when holding it to tat a chain, dang it. lol

vividmana:

Do you have access to Barbara Foster's Needle Tatting books? The method she shows for hiding ends works well for me.

Bookmarks show both sides, so don't worry too much about right/wrong side tatting for now.

Next time you tat a couple of double stitches, look at the front side and then turn it over to look at the back side: if you have two double stitches on the front, you should see only one double stitch on the back, with half double stitches on either side of it. Do the same after you've made a picot with a couple of double stitches on either side of it: this difference in picot apprearance helps me tell front from back side of my tatting -- have fun! Then, before you take yourself too seriously about front and back, check out Jan Stawasz's website for another theory of right/wrong side tatting.

I don't envy you for those post Christmas returns and sales: will you have time to tat after New Years without seasonal craziness?
    Last edited by BlueDode; 19-12-2009 at 03:48 AM.

I'll have more than plenty of time. But this was an item I was making for my Grandma, as a Christmas present. =)

I got the thread added nicely, I think backwards but I have no idea. I'm going to tackle hiding all ends another night.