PDA

View Full Version : Tatted Dress Pattern?

OwenJulesMommy
20-05-2009, 08:08 PM
My DD is going to be celebrating her fist communion next year and I saw this WONDERFUL Italian photo that Mark posted and I'd love to do something like that for her dress.

I'm sure I could figure the attaching the motifs at the sides, but the shoulders and the arms scare me. Does anybody know of a pattern - I've been Googling it without much like.

Elizabita
20-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd suggest starting with tatting a single motif, then figuring out how many around for the sleeves/bust, tatting them seperately and then figuring out a way to tat them together

Ridgewoman
20-05-2009, 11:51 PM
My DD is going to be celebrating her fist communion next year and I saw this WONDERFUL Italian photo that Mark posted and I'd love to do something like that for her dress.

I'm sure I could figure the attaching the motifs at the sides, but the shoulders and the arms scare me. Does anybody know of a pattern - I've been Googling it without much like.

There are clothing patterns in LAEL MORGANs pattern book, and a few in R. Auld's book. Also, J. Staweski (probably not spelled right, he is from Poland) has patterns. They all have some 'tops' (clothing patterns) which would assist you in making the shoulders and such...Handy Hands newsletters also have patterns (vintage) from time to time. Also, check out links that have been given before for Vintage Tatting patterns.

:heart:B

Susan B T
21-05-2009, 02:03 AM
If there is a motif you like and a pattern... then over lay the motif on the yoke or sleeve pattern seeing how you need to put them together and how you need to mofify them to fit the sleeve shape etc.

There are patterns out there for "jackets" vest and such...

Good luck.

clesliea
21-05-2009, 03:07 AM
Dear Christine,
I would approach this one of two ways. First you could treat the tatted lace as you would any scalloped or lace edged material and lay the tatted piece on the pattern, the bottom edge at the hemline (of the sleeve, or bottom edge of the bodice). Sewing the lace as you would any piece of material. If you do it this way a water soluable stabilizer applied to the lace would make it easier to sew. You then wash the stablizer away. I believe this is referred to as whole cloth. You are basically making a whole piece of lace "cloth" and using it as fabric.
The second way of doing this seems much harder and requires alot more planning, is to make a motif you like and arrange it on the pattern piece to fill it in and then figure out how you want to attach the motifs to each other and how to finish off the edge.
I must say I have never attempted such a thing but I would like to.
Connie Angeline

BlueDode
21-05-2009, 05:13 AM
OwenJulesMommy:

Your photo looks familiar to me: where did you find it? Can you provide a URL or how to find it online? I looked at a few of my books but didn't find it: I can't recall where I might have seen it or something similar...

I have a Japanese hook tatting book with some interesting shrug patterns made from repeating circular motifs, but I can't read the dimensions of the motifs nor interpret the size shown. I've considered making them before, but have stopped short of the effort it would take to work out the math and the fitting. These are more capelet/shrug/shawl-like: if they connect under the arm it is in more of a raglan shaping than set in sleeves. And, they are "drapier" -- less fitted. I have no idea what the title of this book would be in English: I haven't seen it's cover anywhere online. Some of these patterns are joined by crochet, BTW -- not sure this is something you would consider (it is a natural thing to do with hook tatting).

Finding a pattern/shape online was harder than I thought. Check out this knitting pattern:
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/klsu-bolero.html?noImages=
...it has some sizing and shaping, but the body is too long, the sleeves too short, and the front is a Vneck instead of a square neckline. That said, it DOES have sleeve cap shaping. I would sew a muslin to see if it fit before I started trying to make the tatting work.

I've also seen knitting patterns for the younger set that have patterns for capelet sort of things, but can't recall specific titles -- it would take some searching. I'm not sure if they have diagrams showing the dimensions of the pieces.

I found a capelet sewing pattern at www.simplicity.com (http://www.simplicity.com) -- # 2735. You might choose to shorten it a bit. There's also one at www.mcallpattern.com (http://www.mcallpattern.com) -- # 5006 (search for "capelet"). Not sure if these would help you or not: you would still have to place the tatting in the lines...These would not involve fitting armholes, though.

One thought: this project sounds like a labor of love: something very fitted would probably only fit one person; a drapier version might fit not only a grand-daughter, but possibly a great-grand-daughter?

Not sure I'm helping or confusing, but I wish you luck, OwenJulesMommy!